Foundation for Successful Living has partnered with the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation to provide the “PreETS” program. The PreETS program further develops an awareness of career and educational opportunities, provides the general skills needed for employment success, and the self-advocacy skills needed as an individual prepares to exit secondary education and enter the workforce.
The PreETS program focuses of 5 key elements:
- Job exploration
- Counseling on post secondary education
- Instruction in self advocacy,
- Work based learning experiences, and
- Work place readiness training
This program is available to students with Disabilities age 15‐21 that are enrolled in secondary education with an IEP or 504 Plan.
Our PreEts program uses a combination of web-based learning and experiential opportunities to provide the individual with the foundations needed to move forward in employment. Foundation for Successful Living uses the web-based curriculum, My Full Life to help individuals learn the following:
- Understand their disability and advocate for their needs
- Develop and strengthen their Executive Functioning skills to increase the probability of success at their job
- Learn problem solving skills for successful communication with employers and co-workers
- Learn the technical skills of completing applications on paper and on line, writing cover letters, completing a resume and learning how to interview
- Job and Interest exploration so individuals can determine what job or interest best fits their abilities and passions
This part of our program is delivered in a group setting with a ratio of no more than 1:6 in a group.
Our experiential learning includes
- Field trips to employers in different industries
- Practice interviews with individuals in the field
- Opportunities to shadow employees in various workplaces
- Opportunities to participate as volunteers to gain valuable hands on experience and strengthen their resume
The experiential part of our program is done on an individual basis, or in a 1:2 ratio if it is feasible for the experience.